Here is a useful piece I wrote for my Holiday 2016 Newsletter. Ask me for a printed copy in person, or download the full PDF here.
Nothing triggers happy memories as strongly as a delicious scent or flavor. Remember, you can always add more oil, but you can’t take it back out; so always start with just one drop and you can add more from there. If you buy quality essential oils, they are not diluted, so use them sparingly (they can be very strong). When using them topically, always dilute essential oils in carrier oils (such as almond or coconut oil). You can use many essential oils internally (more on that here) and best part is, they’re dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian.
Try mixing your own holiday blend (think peppermint, cinnamon, clove, etc.), or buy doterra’s Holiday Blend oil, which is made with these warm, spicy, sweet flavors:
- Wild orange
- Siberian fir
- Clove bud
- Cinnamon bark
- Douglas fir
- Vanilla absolute
- Add a couple drops of oil to your coat, scarf or wrists throughout the day (make sure you’ve diluted the oil first, if you’re putting it onto bare skin)
- Use your Holiday Blend in a diffuser
- Add 5-10 drops of oil to a spray bottle of water and mist your Christmas tree, your car, or your sheets
- Bring your bottle of Balance (doterra blend) with you to take a whiff of straight from the bottle in stressful situations
- Add a drop of oil to a bowl or vase of pinecones – DIY potpourri!
- Add a single drop of peppermint oil to your hot cocoa or mocha
- Add a drop of peppermint, cinnamon or clove oil to your Christmas-cookie batter
- Use essential oils instead of spices to make MULLED WINE: add 1 sliced / peeled orange and ½ cup sugar to 2 cups water in a pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Reduce heat & add 1 bottle red wine, 1-drop clove oil and 2-drops cinnamon oil. Slowly reheat but do not boil. Serve warm in mugs & garnish with cinnamon sticks. Serves 4-8.